“Bazhov’s House” - a place where time stands still

вторник 25 июня 2024, 13:06

____

Library continues to introduce you to interesting books dedicated to the 90th anniversary of Sverdlovsk oblast.

We asked the students being in March in translation practice in the Library to tell about their favourite places in Sverdlovsk oblast and recommend books about these places.

Today we want to present you the
book by Ariadna Bazhova-Gaidar "The House at the Corner" reviewed by 2nd-year student of Linguistics Elena Brusenkova.

There is no one who has not heard of the Bazhov House in Yekaterinburg. In my opinion, this place remains one of the various sort of portals that give us a chance to get a glimpse into the past and take a break from the sight of endless high-rise buildings. It lets us get inspired, think and reflect. I first saw this House when I was an undergraduate student, we attended the Confucius Institute. Despite the fact that there were many remarkable buildings around, the Bazhov House was a breath of fresh air in the endless rush of student life. I wanted to achieve more success, to understand more, but at that time I never had a chance to visit this place, though I really wanted to.

Finally, after some time, I got an opportunity to visit the museum. That time this place was filled with even more meaning. Studying better the biography of Bazhov, I felt that I became closer not only to the great writer, but also to the place itself.

The house at the corner is a touching story written by Ariadna Bazhova-Gaidar (the youngest daughter of Pavel Petrovich Bazhov) that inspires its readers to learn more about the personality and routine of a great writer. The uniqueness of this book lies in the fact that the author allows us to look at the life of Pavel Petrovich with eyes full of love. Although A. Bazhova-Gaidar shows her father’s personality from different sides, without hesitating to mention personal grievances, it’s impossible to cover her true love and affection for her father.

This book is valuable not only for people who are interested in the work of P. P. Bazhov, but also for those who love history, since he actively participated in the life of the country. After reading “The House at the Corner,” you will definitely want to visit the museum, which is located in Bazhov’s house, in order to become even more immersed in the history of this great man.

I highly recommend reading this book, as it is not only easy and enjoyable to read, but can also inspire further study of the history of our region, and will also make you to re-read those very tales of P. P. Bazhov!

Author&Translator: Elena Brusenkova

We express sincere gratitude to Elena Brusenkova for the work she has done!

Вы используете гостевой доступ (Служебный вход)